Thursday 1 August 2013

Delete Blood Cancer

I was flicking through an old Glamour magazine a few weeks ago and one of there adverts caught my eye. Normally I just skip past the boring adverts but something about this advert made me stop.

It was an advert asking people to register as stem cell donors. Every 18 minutes someone in the UK is diagnosed with blood cancer. 70% of patients who require a stem cell donation fail to find matches within their family, so rely on generous strangers.
For many blood cancer patients a stem cell donation is their only chance of survival. Currently, only half of the people diagnosed find a matching donor.

So how can you help? By registering yourself as a donor you allow DKMS to keep a record of your details in their database and if you are matched up to a patient, you will be contacted and asked if you would like to donate.


2 Key Questions

1. How do I register
2. How do I donate

Registering is easy. You will out a simple online application form, and then they will send you a pack to your home address. Inside this pack are two cheek swabs. Just wipe both of these on the inside of your mouth and send them back in the free post envelope provided. Easy!

There are two ways to donate. The first is through your blood, and the second (less common) method is collecting bone marrow through your hip

For more information please check out Delete Blood Cancer. I've registered myself and the process is so easy. Your body will replenish and stem cells collected within 2-3days. I think it's amazing that we have a natural cure to this horrible cancer inside all of us.



Do something amazing today. Register now

Georgia x

Follow me on Bloglovin by clicking here

No comments:

Post a Comment